According to information released by the ICDD, numerous ongoing housing developments in and near the Iowa City Downtown District (ICDD) this year will add 1,135 beds to the city’s housing inventory.
This number rises to more than 2,000 beds if you take into account residential development within a 5-10 minute walk of the neighborhood.
New commercial retail space, child care centers and entertainment venues will complement the increase in housing stock.
Projects currently in progress:
- Tailwind Project – As part of a revitalization of East College Street, an 11-story housing community called The Nest is coming to Iowa City.
- Application by CA Ventures – A proposed 13-story tower at 21 S. Linn Street would include commercial space on the ground floor and student housing on the upper levels. Three rounds of sitemap reviews have failed so far.
- 315 E. Prentiss Street – The 908 Group is undergoing a site plan review process for its own student housing development which would include approximately 227 units, according to public records. The plan would redevelop 305 and 315 E. Prentiss St. and 625 S. Gilbert Street.
- Block at 700 S. Dubuque Street – A proposed six-story apartment building has its site plan approved and is now in the demonstration permit process, according to the release.
- In May and June, the ICCD boundaries received 1.1 million visits from 290,000 visitors, employees and district residents.
- More than 144,000 visitors combined attended the University of Iowa Graduation, Iowa City Arts Fest, Saturday Iowa City Pride Parade and Festival, and the Downtown Block Party.