Suspect in fatal downtown Seattle bombing pleads not guilty

ByShannon J. Cortes

Aug 18, 2022

A 48-year-old man pleaded not guilty Thursday to an enhanced charge of first-degree murder, accused of fatally wounding a 66-year-old man in a brazen daytime attack in downtown Seattle this month.

Aaron Fulk was initially charged with attempted first-degree murder for allegedly bludgeoning Rodney Peterman in the head with a metal pull-up bar in front of multiple witnesses – including a Seattle police officer – at Third Avenue and Pike Street on August 2. , according to the prosecution. papers.

Bystanders performed CPR on Peterman before medics arrived on the scene, but he never regained consciousness, the charges allege. He died of his injuries four days later at Harborview Medical Center, according to King County prosecutors.

A Seattle police officer was driving east on Pike Street around 3 p.m. the day of the attack and heard a man screaming for help, the charges allege. As she approached Third Avenue, she saw a man, later identified as Fulk, lift a metal bar above his head and strike Peterman twice in the back of the head, according to the charges.

Fulk delivered a third blow to Peterman’s temple after Peterman fell unresponsively to the ground in the southwest corner, charging documents say. The officer noted in his police report that Peterman was unarmed and used a walker to get around, according to the charges.

Although Fulk tried to walk away, he was quickly arrested at the scene, according to the charges. It is not known whether the two men knew each other.

“The defendant admitted to the officers that he was attempting to kill the victim, and while acknowledging that the victim was the first he attacked in this manner, [he] made it clear that this victim would not be the last,” Senior Assistant District Attorney Gretchen Holmgren wrote in the charges.

Fulk, who has previous convictions in Idaho, was charged in Pierce County with criminal harassment in July for threatening to kill a public transit public safety officer, court records show. He was released on a personal recognizance in this case.

Fulk remains jailed for murder in lieu of $2.5 million bond.